The Health Student Caucus provides a forum for health and human service (HHS) student leaders to discuss common education issues, provide feedback on the development, implementation and evaluation of interprofessional learning opportunities, and contribute to the advancement of Interprofessional Education (IPE) at UBC.
Composition and Organization
- The chair of the committee will be the Associate Provost Health.
- Membership will consists of 1-2 HHS students whom each program deems most appropriate as a representative (Audiology and Speech Sciences, Dental Hygiene, Dentistry, Dietetics, Kinesiology, Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing, Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Physical Therapy, Psychology, Population and Public Health, Social Work). Representatives will be appointed for a one year renewable term.
- The committee will be supported by the Education Program Coordinator in the Office of the Vice -Provost Health (OVPH).
- Meetings will be scheduled two to three times per year and on an ad hoc basis when needed at the discretion of the Chair and the Caucus, between September and June
- Ad hoc working groups may be formed to address specific projects.
- Decisions will be made by consensus.
- Terms of Reference will be reviewed annually.
Roles and Responsibilities
Interprofessional Education (IPE)
- To act as a think tank for integration in education across the health and human service programs
- To provide valuable student perspectives on interprofessional curricular issues
- To identify needs and opportunities to support students in common and interprofessional learning
- To promote educational initiatives or collaborative practice opportunities occurring within HHS programs by fostering communication between the programs, student leadership groups and the Health Student Caucus.
- To act in an advisory capacity on specific projects; on student representation on specific committees/working groups
- When appropriate, assume leadership for specific projects
- To provide a student forum for interprofessional ‘champions’ from each health and human service program to share their ideas and initiatives related to health professional education
- To act as a liaison between the Office of the Vice-Provost health and student leadership groups
Terms and Conditions
Committee members will:
- Attend all committee meetings, or inform the committee Chair if you are unable to attend. Meetings are held from September to June.
- Be informed about the committees mandate and initiatives.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to committee meetings.
- Respond to all electronic communication sent to the committee
- Inform their own student organizations or bodies about the work/discussions resulting from the Health Student Caucus meetings
- Chair the Health Student Caucus
- Work with committee members to establish a strategic plan for the Committee that is aligned with the work of the Office of the Associate Provost Health.
- Oversee activities of the Health Student Caucus.