UBC Health is a partnership of all academic health programs at UBC. It promotes and facilitates internal collaboration, and provides a coordinated interface with the developing province-wide Academic Health Science Network.
UBC Health supports the establishment and pursuit of common goals while respecting the autonomy of the distinct health disciplines. The primary outcomes are expected to include:
- Enhanced performance in priority areas of cross-sector research and translation to patient care;
- Strengthened support for health research through improved provincial data access and management, advocacy around favourable research funding policies, and the provision of cross-cutting infrastructure including sequencing, high-performance computing and grant facilitation;
- Education innovation in areas that are crucial to practitioner and system development, including integrated curricula, interprofessional education, joint programs such as biomedical engineering and applied programs such as health informatics;
- Targeted operational integration to strengthen capabilities and drive efficiencies, initially in Finance and IT, creating a platform for broader sector cooperation and synergy;
- Leadership in shaping sector dialogue and mobilizing activity around core systemic issues and opportunities, including clinical placements and the evolution of primary care.
Importantly, UBC Health is intended to complement the activities of individual Faculties and Schools through its focus on tasks of mutual importance that require intensive functional, subject and systemic co-ordination.