The mandate of the Practice Education Committee (PEC) is to support the integration of practice education processes across the health and human service programs; attend to common practice education issues; build capacity for interprofessional collaborative practice; and support the development, implementation and evaluation of interprofessional learning opportunities in practice, respecting the accreditation requirements of each program.
Composition and Organization:
- The chair of the committee will rotate throughout the committee membership. The chair will serve for a 2-year renewable term.
- Membership will consist of a faculty member whom each health and human service program deems most responsible for practice education or their formally appointed designate (Audiology and Speech Sciences, Counseling Psychology, Dental Hygiene, Dentistry, Dietetics, Genetic Counselling, Kinesiology, Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing, Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Physical Therapy, Psychology, Population and Public Health, Social Work), and a representative from IMIT.
- Leaders of curriculum/education projects will participate on an ad hoc basis.
- The committee will be supported by the Practice Education Manager and Education Program Coordinator in the Office of the Vice -Provost Health (OVPH).
- Meetings are scheduled monthly, or called at the discretion of the Chair, between September and June.
- Ad hoc working groups will be formed to address specific projects.
- Decisions will be made by consensus.
- Terms of Reference will be reviewed annually.
- Meeting minutes from the Practice Education and Curriculum Committees will be circulated to both groups to ensure synergy.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Integrated Practice Education
- Attend to common issues and share learning for best practices in practice education.
- Align practice education processes and innovate for integration strategies across the health and human service programs
- Enhance interoperability and the ability of health and human service programs to exchange information and to use the information to make better decisions around practice education.
Interprofessional Practice Education Experiences
- Guide and contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of collaborative practice education experiences
- Address challenges and barriers for collaborative practice education.
- Identify needs and opportunities to support preceptors/supervisors in evidence-based teaching practices
- Align resources in support for professional development for preceptors
- Recognize excellence in practice education and collaborative practice.
- In collaboration with HCC, promote educational initiatives and/or collaborative practice opportunities by fostering communication between the programs and the practice education committee.
- In collaboration with HCC, act as a catalyst for change; advocating for collaborative-patient centred care as an important strategy in addressing emergent health care issues
The PEC will be accountable to the UBC Health Council
Terms and Conditions
Committee Members will:
- Attend all committee meetings and functions, such as special events or send a delegate if you are unable to attend. Meetings are held from September to June.
- Be informed about the committees mandate, policies, and initiatives.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to committee meetings.
- Serve on working groups or task forces and offer to take on special assignments.
- Inform others about the work of the UBC Health PEC and link to the community and stakeholders.
- Suggest possible nominees to the committee who can make significant contributions to the work of the committee.
- Keep current on developments in the practice education field.
- Follow UBC conflict-of-interest and confidentiality policies.
- Report to the Associate Provost Health
- Chair the Practice Education Committee monthly meetings
- Work with committee members to establish a strategic plan for the Committee that is also aligned with the overall OVPH.
- Oversee activities of the Practice Education committee
- Sit on relevant external committees