The mandate of the UBC Health Curriculum Committee (HCC) is to support the development, implementation, and evaluation of common and interprofessional learning across the health and human service programs at UBC, respecting the accreditation requirements of each program.
Composition and Organization:
- The chair of the committee will rotate throughout the committee membership. The chair will serve for a 2-year renewable term.
- Membership will consist of a faculty member whom each program deems most responsible for curriculum or their formally appointed designate. (Audiology and Speech Sciences, Counseling Psychology, Dental Hygiene, Dentistry, Dietetics, Genetic Counselling, Kinesiology, Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing, Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Physical Therapy, Psychology, Population and Public Health, Social Work), and the Library.
- Leaders of curriculum/education projects will participate on an ad hoc basis.
- The committee will be supported by the Curriculum Manager and Education Program Coordinator in the Office of the Associate Provost Health.
- Meetings will be scheduled monthly, or called at the discretion of the Chair, between September and June.
- Ad hoc working groups will be formed to address specific projects.
- Decisions will be made by consensus.
- Terms of Reference will be reviewed annually.
- Meeting minutes from the Practice Education and Curriculum Committees will be circulated to both groups to ensure synergy.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist in identifying common topics for learning across HHS programs (e.g. professionalism, informatics, well-being)
- Provide input into logistics for integrated curricula
- Share good practices
- Communicate important information back to programs
Interprofessional Education (IPE)
- Provide feedback on enhancements to the IPE Passport
- Support use of the IPE Passport within programs
- Provide oversight for the IPE Passport use within programs
- Assist with evaluation of the IPE Passport use and impact
- Provide input into the development and delivery of IPE activities
- Ensure successful integration of activities within programs
- Assist with evaluation of activities
- Provide oversight for the interprofessional attributes of the IHHS courses by periodically reviewing each course and its pedagogical approach
- Identify needs and opportunities to support faculty in delivering common and interprofessional learning
- Provide input into each phase of a faculty development program
- Inform programs about faculty development opportunities
- In collaboration with the Practice Education Committee, promote educational initiatives or collaborative practice opportunities occurring within HHS programs by fostering communication between the programs and the curriculum committee.
- In collaboration with the Practice Education Committee, act as a catalyst for change; advocating for collaborative-patient centred care as an important strategy in addressing emergent health care issues.
- Facilitate recognition of excellence in interprofessional education through the adjudication of awards.
The HCC will be accountable to the UBC Health Council
Terms and Conditions:
Committee Members will:
- Attend all committee meetings and functions, such as special events or send a delegate if unable to attend.
- Be informed about the committees mandate, policies, and initiatives.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to committee meetings.
- Serve on working groups or task forces and offer to take on special assignments.
- Inform others about the work of the UBC Health Curriculum Committee and link to the community and stakeholders.
- Suggest possible nominees to the committee who can make significant contributions to the work of the committee.
- Follow conflict-of-interest and confidentiality policies.
- Report to the Associate Provost Health
- Chair the Curriculum Committee monthly meetings.
- Work with committee members to establish a strategic plan for the Committee that is aligned with the work of the Office of the Associate Provost Health.
- Oversee activities of the Curriculum Committee.